USDA GMO Labeling - What to Expect from the 2018 Final Rule
Instructor : Norma Skolnik
Jun 18, 2018 1:00 PM ET | 12:00 PM CT | 10:00 AM PT | 60 Minutes
2018 Brings a Bevy of GMO Labeling Regulations—Not All of them are Consistent
Strong pressure from industry groups and the general population have meant that a slew of new labeling requirements for genetically modified organisms (GMOs) will go into effect in 2018. But those regulations are filled with caveats and fine details—and in many cases vary from one state to another. This is a complicated field to navigate—you can’t simply Google your way to compliance.
Rely on guidance from Norma Skolnik, who has more than 35 years of regulatory experience in the pharmaceutical and dietary supplement industries. In this information-packed session, she will outline both the history of this controversial topic and the industry standards for GMOs as they exist today—including how to abide by global, federal, and state rules and requirements. While a recently-passed federal law preempts state laws, there are tons of unresolved issues that can complicate your compliance. Don’t get caught off guard.
Skolnik will outline the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) current position on GMOs and genetically modified foods, detail the agency’s biotechnology policy and consultation program, and cover worldwide GMO labeling regulations. Skolnik will also dive into state initiatives—including Vermont’s GMO labeling law. Plus, she’ll explain the U. S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) role in issuing GMO labeling regulations.
- The status of GMOs in the United States
- The FDA’s policy on GMOs and genetically engineered foods
- The FDA’s biotechnology policy and consultation programs
- Global GMO labeling regulations
- State initiatives and Vermont’s GMO labeling law
- The USDA’s role in issuing GMO labeling regulations
Who Should Attend:
- Regulatory affairs managers in the food industry
- Food marketing managers
- Labeling managers at grocery and food companies
- Agricultural companies that provide GMO ingredients
- Food and grocery manufacturers and distributors