Annual Wellness Visit (AWV) Compliant Collection of Information – An Under Utilized Highly Reimbursable Code
Instructor : Jill M. Young
Feb 19, 2019 1:00 PM ET | 12:00 PM CT | 10:00 AM PT | 60 Minutes
The CMS introduced the annual wellness visit (AWV) to get a clearer picture for preventive treatment throughout the year so that they could better measure the illness of the population and reimburse accordingly. However, since the CMS marketed it as a wellness exam at inception, it has been a source of much confusion for patients and providers alike.
But Medicare AWVs are a great opportunity for practices to increase revenues and perform well on quality scores while improving the health of their patients. Yet, according to a survey in 2017, only 10% of clinicians had done AMVs for their eligible Medicare patients.
Do you know who can perform the visit, when and how it is performed and what are the documentation requirements for annual wellness visits? Do you want to increase your revenue with AWVs in your office?
Then, join this session by practice compliance expert, Jill M. Young, CPC, CEDC, CIMC, to get step-by-step instructions on efficiently and compliantly performing the AWV at your office. You’ll learn best practices on how to meet all the documentation requirements with efficient capture of required information. Jill will also offer tips on how to present the AWV to patients so they understand it well. This session will not only help you compliantly document annual wellness visits but also make sure you maximize your office’s reimbursement opportunities on this annual service.
- Performing the AWV: Who can perform, when and how?
- What’s included in the annual wellness visit?
- What’s included in the IPPE?
- Conducting a health risk assessment
- Preparing patients for an AWV
- Documentation requirements for AWV
- Billing frequency for annual wellness visits
- Finding up-to-date CMS and Medicare information on AWVs
- How to avoid patient confusion about what the AWV entails
- Tips on creating your own AWV patient screening sheet
Who Will Benefit:
- Nurse practitioners
- Office managers
- Medical coders and billers