HIPAA Updates for the Exceptions for Law Enforcement Purposes
Instructor : Mark Brengelman
Oct 27, 2017 1:00 PM ET | 12:00 PM CT | 10:00 AM PT | 60 Minutes
Most professionals involved in the field of healthcare know the basics of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). However, there are exceptions in case of criminal or civil investigations, and it is important that you are familiar with them.
During this webinar, our expert speaker Mr. Mark R Brengelman will take you through the subject of HIPAA privacy exceptions, explaining various concepts in detail and providing useful information. So in case a health care practitioner finds himself/herself facing a demand for information from the police, they will be fully aware of what they can and cannot divulge, what they must document, and whether or not they will need to notify the patient.
Topics discussed include: HIPAA privacy basics, exceptions to HIPAA privacy with patient consent, exceptions to HIPAA privacy for law enforcement purposes (civil and criminal matters), how exceptions are applied by agencies, how to comply with a request for protected health information in various situations, what you must document as a permitted disclosure, and pitfalls of non-compliance. Finally, the speaker will briefly talk about case law from the courts regarding HIPAA privacy exceptions for law enforcement purposes.
All webinar attendees will be provided handouts, which will help them remember and make the most of the training they have received.
- Go through the HIPAA privacy
- Learn the HIPAA privacy exceptions with patient consent
- Learn about the exceptions to HIPAA privacy for law enforcement purposes (for civil and criminal matters)
- Discover how exceptions to HIPAA privacy are applied by law enforcement agencies, with an emphasis on state licensure boards and agencies
- Learn how to comply to a request for Protected Health Information, when the patient is in trouble and law enforcement is involved
- Find out how to comply to a request for Protected Health Information when you are in trouble
- Learn about case law from the courts regarding HIPAA privacy exceptions, for law enforcement purposes.
Who will benefit:
The following people will benefit from, and should therefore attend, this webinar
- Individual healthcare practitioners across various healthcare professionals
- Healthcare attorneys
- Human Resource Professionals
- Privacy Officer
- Accounting Professionals
- Advisor & Consultant
- Teachers and educators in graduate-level medical education
- Corporate counselors in healthcare