Poultry’s Role in Food Security and Sustainability
Instructor : Dr. John Ryan
Jul 23, 2019 1:00 PM ET | 12:00 PM CT | 10:00 AM PT | 60 Minutes
Poultry is big business. Rarely a month goes by without some sort of poultry food safety recall. Poultry farms are constantly in the news for questionable practices regarding how poultry are raised, impact on regional water sources, what drugs are fed to them, the environmental impact of manure, egg varieties and pricing, bacterial contamination of eggs, disposal of dead poultry and a variety of other factors impacting the industry’s ability to meet poultry product demand and environmental sustainability requirements.
This webinar will look at poultry’s role in food security and sustainability. While companies can supply poultry, eggs and poultry products in many forms, large poultry flocks are often threatened by disease outbreaks (avian influenza), regional legislation, and consumer demands for “caged”, “natural”, “free range” and other continuously changing factors. Poultry are a basic dietary need for most societies and cultures and must be produced in a manner that helps to sustain the environment in order to continually provide a secure food source for humans.
Why Should You Attend:
Poultry plays a most critical role in terms of food security and environmental sustainability. While many food suppliers are diligently attacking food security and sustainability issues on a world-wide basis, the poultry industry is perceived as failing to meet new demands. Disruptions to the poultry industry can have drastic impact on whether the industry can survive local or international disruptions. With traceability, labeling, environmental pressures, legal requirements, tariffs, and other pressures mounting, food supply chains from consumers and retail and restaurant outlets down through feed suppliers need to be continuously informed regarding problems and events surrounding poultry as a sustainable and secure food source.
This webinar will cover some of the most critical issues facing our need for a secure and sustainable poultry production effort.
We will cover examples of the ecological impact of poultry manure (heavy metals, trace antibiotics, hormones) solutions to manure conversion, state and consumer demands for antibiotic free eggs and poultry, international disputes such as that between the U.S. poultry industry and the United Kingdom and USDA rules and regulations.
- Understand the risks and issues associated with poultry food security and sustainability
- Review of poultry USDA rules
- Understand a significant new approach to protecting ground water from manure pollution
- Look at how blockchain will improve poultry and poultry product certification and traceability
- Understand consumer willingness to pay more for sustainability
- Review how companies are working on implementing sustainability solutions
- Understand bird welfare and disposal concerns
Areas covered in this presentation:
- Food security and sustainability
- Poultry market data
- USDA Poultry Rules
- Feed Issues
- Bird welfare
- Poultry production blockchain traceability and certification
- Consumer sustainability concerns and willingness to pay more
- WhO food security findings
- A model poultry manure processing operation (water contamination prevention)
- Ecological Impact of heavy metals, trace antibiotics and hormones
- Small scale poultry production
Who Will Benefit:
- Poultry product procurement personnel
- U.S. food processors, distributors, retailers and restaurant chains
- Restaurant and retail inventory control and buyers
- Foreign food producers, importers and exporters
- Food safety and quality specialists
- Poultry growers, importers, packers, handlers, transporters
- Food Facility owners and managers
- Process and facility sanitation and maintenance personnel