Best Practices for Identifying screening vs diagnostic colonoscopies in the documentation
Instructor : Jill M. Young
Oct 22, 2019 1:00 PM ET | 12:00 PM CT | 10:00 AM PT | 60 Minutes
Although insurance policies on Screening vs Diagnostic Colonoscopies can be found, they are not always helpful in discerning real life situations nor are they clear to everyone for the unique situations that seem to present themselves to billers. Understanding the instructions intimately will help you understand what to do in the unusual circumstances, make you more efficient and effective in coding, billing and collecting for these procedures. The Medicare Physician Fee schedule proposed rule for 2020 has mentioned changes to their current payment policies. What will this mean to your practice? Listen in to hear what changes you may need to adjust to if the proposed rule becomes a final one. Anesthesia services have a unique set of billing instructions that need to be understood and followed as well to avoid compliance issues. These issues will also be covered in this webinar. At the last, there will be ample time left for your questions at the end of the audioconference lecture so be prepared to ask one!!
- Key words in the documentation will determine what qualifies as a screening colonoscopy vs a diagnostic colonoscopy – what to look for and why certain words are important
- If the procedure changes to diagnostic from screening, what billing changes need to happen to maximize your payment
- How to properly sequence diagnostic codes for both screening and diagnostic colonoscopies to avoid rejections or denials
- Anesthesia issues with screening vs diagnostic colonoscopies that adversely affect patient care responsibilities
- Pre-procedure intake of patient information, how to obtain complaint information and then how is it utilized in the physician’s documentation
- Time will be spent on the proposed changes by Medicare for 2020 that will change everything
Who Should Attend?
- Office and Practice Managers
- Compliance Officers
- Coders and Billers of Gastroenterology
- Physicians wanting to learn compliant billing rules